NFC South Update
The Atlanta Falcons have signed star receiver Julio Jones to a five year extension worth $71.25 million. The overall value is slightly more than the $70 million both Demariyus Thomas and Dez Bryant received earlier this summer. The deal includes $47.5 million in guaranteed money. There was little question as to whether or not Jones and the Falcons would get a deal done. Despite entering his final season of his rookie contract Jones had made it a point to be in attendance for all offseason programs and operate in a “business as usual” manner. By completing the extension now both parties avoid having to deal with a scenario that may have involved the franchise tag or a holdout.
Jones set a career high in receptions in 2014 with 104 and a franchise record in receiving yards with 1,593. Both totals led the NFC. With new offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan and a clean bill of health Jones has a legitimate shot at exceeding those impressive numbers in 2015.
In other news:
- The Raiders have waived S Jonathan Dowling;
- The Jets have released OT James Brewster;
- The Jets have released WR T.J. Graham;
- The Jets have released WR DeVier Posey;
- The Jaguars have released QB Jeff Tuel;
- The Buccaneers have released RB Joey Iosefa;
- The Dolphins have released C J.D. Walton;
- The Dolphins have released WR LaRon Byrd;
- The Vikings have released RB Joe Banyard;
- The Vikings have released TE Brandon Bostick;
- The Bears have released CB Tim Jennings;
- The Bears have released RB Daniel Thomas;
- The Chiefs have waived WR L’Damian Washington;
- The Browns have released LB Moise Fokou;
- TE Tim Wright has been traded by the Bucs to the Lions for K Kyle Brindza;
- The Lions have released WR Ryan Broyles;
- The Broncos have waived QB Zac Dysert, claimed off waivers by the Bears;
- OT Chris Clark has been traded by the Broncos to the Texans for a 2016 7th round pick; and
- K Josh Scobee has been traded by the Jaguars to the Steelers for a 2016 6th round pick.