AFC West Update
The San Diego Chargers and Corey Liuget have agreed to a 5-year deal for $51.8 million with $30.477 million guaranteed. The deal was in place earlier this week, but the contract details were not immediately available. Liuget is a talented 3-4 defensive end but has battled inconsistency in his young career. The 25-year-old has flashed from time-to-time but he only has 18 career sacks. Those familiar with Liuget will cite the amount of plays he makes that do not show up in the box score. But ultimately when your team is poor-to-average in stopping the run and you don’t consistently get to the passer $30 million guaranteed raises question marks. The Chargers obviously believe Liuget is a cornerstone piece considering this financial commitment they have made. However, Liuget will certainly have to raise his level of play to justify this contract.
In other news:
– The Cleveland Browns have re-signed restricted free agent S Tashaun Gipson to a one year $2.36 million deal
– QB Garrett Gilbert has been claimed off waivers by the Detroit Lions
– DT Kevin Williams has signed a one year deal with the New Orleans Saints
– The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have claimed TE Tim Wright off of waivers
– OT Charles Brown has signed with the New York Jets