Under the Radar Draft Gems … Ready for the next level
Here we go … Nooo not the on-going NFL playoffs … We are talking The NFL Draft Baby … Hey there fellow football enthusiasts Popa ‘T’ here, an avid football fan & a guest writer for Couch Potato GM.
This is my favorite time of the year. Why you ask? The love of the inexact science, we call ‘the draft’. The time of the year friends, that NFL Directors of Player Personnel and NFL Scouting Departments earn their keep. The evaluation process is in-depth and detailed, as these young pro hopefuls are basically dissected in every possible way … physically & mentally. What makes it so interesting is no matter how many boxes you check off on a prospect, there are no guarantees.
I spend little time evaluating the known prospects from the D1 teams (Power 5), as there is more than enough info & film. I am a firm believer that those prospects you draft in the 3rd Rd and later, are the foundation on which championship teams are built on. Here are some prospects I believe, those same scouting departments will be keeping a close eye on.
- Jeremiah Briscoe QB Sam Houston State 6’3” 225 – 3yr starter … can make all the throws … 10,000+ yds & 90+ TD passes will be a steal.
- Chase Edmonds TB Fordham 5’9” 210 … pure RB … ridiculous cutting ability. Injury shortened senior season.
- Grambling’s Martez Carter a 5’9” 205 … RB who is as talented as the Chicago Bears Cohen but better.
- Pitt Panthers deep threat WR Jester Weah 6’3” 210 – Fast rising sleeper prospect … needs to expand his route tree.
- Marcus Johnson WR Slippery Rock 6’2” 195 – Small School Stud!! Complete route tree, great hands & excellent return man.
- Elijah Nkansah OT Toledo 6’6” 315 – athletic, good feet … LT or RT. A smart 4 year starter at LT.
- Jamil Demby of Maine 6’4” 332 – great feet, short arms projects inside.
- Marcus Davenport DE UTSA 6’6” 255 Stud!!! Freak 2.0 a Jevon Kearse clone. Level of competition/strength the only issues. Could go as high as the mid-1st Rd.
- Nathan Shepherd is a strong 6’4” 300 DT/5T from Fort Hays State … plays with leverage & good use of hands.
- Tackling machine Darius Leonard OLB South Carolina State 6’3” 232 is a gem … 3rd or 4th Rd potential.
- So is, South Alabama CB/FS Jeremy Reaves 5’11” 205 … from out-house to penthouse … fast rising, is one of those feel good stories … over-coming injury, adversity, the 2 time Sun Belt Conference 1st Team pick is a solid performer & leader.
- Malik Reaves CB Villanova 5’11” 202, no relation, is a talented, experienced CB … needs to run well.
- Jaylen Dunlap CB Illinois 6’0” 191 – elite CB skillset & speed, that hasn’t translated onto the field … I believe he will be better pro.
Well, fellow wanna be draft guru’s, let’s get busy unearthing those under the radar gems, a la Deacon Jones, Jared Allen & Everson Walls, that could go a long way in helping an NFL franchise. Let’s Go Draft!