AFC West Update
The 2015 offseason was anything but uneventful for the San Diego Chargers. From stadium/relocation discussions to personnel questions regarding the futures of Phillip Rivers and Eric Weddle; there just seemed to be more questions about the state of the Chargers’ franchise than answers. Well, fortunately one game into the preseason the Chargers have addressed the long term future of their quarterback position by locking up the face of the franchise, Phillip Rivers. The Chargers signed Rivers to a 4-year $83.25 million contract extension through the 2019 season; the deal includes an astronomical $65 million in guaranteed money according to the San Diego Union-Tribune.
The 33-year-old Rivers continues to play at a high level and has masked many of the deficiencies the Chargers have had over the last 3-5 years. Annually, “doing a lot, with a little,” Rivers appeared to be a legitimate MVP candidate last season before a midseason swoon. Extending Rivers ensures that the Chargers will continue to be competitive but San Diego’s front office has to put more talent around Rivers, on both sides of the ball in order to be a legitimate Super Bowl contender. The first round of selection of running back Melvin Gordon and the acquisition of wide receiver Stevie Johnson certainly will help, but the losses of Eddie Royal and Antonio Gates‘ suspension tempers those additions.
In other news:
– St. Louis Rams’ CB E.J. Gaines will miss the 2015 season after undergoing surgery to repair a Lisfranc injury;
– Minnesota Vikings’ OT Phil Loadholt suffered a torn Achilles in Saturday’s preseason game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers he is expected to miss the 2015 season;
– RB Michael Hill has signed with the Dallas Cowboys;
– RB Ben Malena has signed with the Dallas Cowboys;
– The Washington Redskins have lost RB Silas Redd, TE Niles Paul, and TE Logan Paulsen to injuries for the season;
– Chicago Bears’ rookie WR Kevin White is in danger of missing the 2015 season as he requires surgery to repair a stress fracture in his shin;
– Dolphins waive/injured WR Tommy Streeter;
– Bears waive LB DeDe Lattimore; and
– S Mykkele Thompson of the New York Giants may miss the 2015 season with an Achilles injury.