Couch Potato General Manager
Prospect Rank – #9
Position Rank – #1 Running Back
David Montgomery 2019 NFL Draft Profile
College: Iowa State
CPGM Headley’s Prospect Notes –
- Watched game against Iowa and said “he’s different”
- True 3-down player, dual-threat back that can line up at “WR” and run the ball at a high level
- Shades of Matt Forte
- As a runner he’s silky smooth who almost always makes the first guy miss
- Vision is a plus
- Drives through tackles falling forward
- Willing and able pass protector
- Always fights for extra yards, hard to bring down
- Elusiveness is elite, saw him do things that only Saquon does, balance, flexibility, ability to stay up, how he contorts his body
- Plus ball security
- His offensive line played poorly so we know he can still produce despite his line struggling.
- May dance a bit too much
- At times takes unnecessary shots to the ribs, needs to protect himself better.
CPGM Drew’s Prospect Notes –
- First thing that you notice is he can avoid or break the tackle of a defender who penetrates or has a free shot at him
- Arm tackles won’t work
- Lower body strength is one of if not the best in class
- After receiving the hand off will bounce around from hole to hole until he finds one that is actually there which speaks to his patience
- Always moving with the ball in his hand; this is a plus when he is in the open field defenders are unable to get a bead on him, making it much tougher to get a clean shot or good angle for the tackle
- Has plus plus balance which matches his frame and style in which he runs
- Pass blocking is a plus also with plenty of willingness and want to, to mix it up.
- Can also catch out the backfield
- I believe he is a complete back.
- Can at times take too long to decide where to go when nothing is there.