AFC East Update
Big money for a big man. According to ESPN’s Adam Schefter, Marcell Dareus and the Buffalo Bills have agreed to a 6-year contract extension worth $108 million. There are multiple sources corroborating this figure. At least one source indicates that deal is closer to the $95 million. Defense wins championships and the 25-year-old Dareus is among the Top 2 or 3 interior defensive lineman in the NFL and he’s being paid like one. Assuming the deal is worth $108 million it isn’t quite the $114 million fellow defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh got from the Miami Dolphins but Dareus’ $60 million in guaranteed money slightly out paces that of Suh and is the highest amount in guaranteed money for a non-quarterback in the NFL. Dareus should treat his running mates Kyle Williams, Jared Hughes and Mario Williams to dinner and then resume being the most dominant front four in the AFC and perhaps the NFL.
In other news:
- The Giants have waived CB Asa Jackson;
- The Eagles have signed OT Andrew Gardner to a 3-year extension worth $4.7 million;
- RB Jonas Gray has been signed and added to the Dolphins’ practice squad;
- ILB Jasper Brinkley has signed with the Giants;
- The Saints have released WR Nick Toon with an injury settlement;
- The Bills have waived TE Nick O’Leary;
- The Browns have claimed RB Robert Turbin off waivers from the Seahawks;
- The Browns have waived WR/QB Terrelle Pryor; and
- TE John Phillips has re-signed with the Chargers.