ONE Question out of the 2022 NFL Draft for Each NFC West Team

Arizona Cardinals – How much better can the Cardinals offense be with the additions of Marquise “Hollywood” Brown and Trey McBride?

After losing Christian Kirk to free agency we found out that DeAndre Hopkins is facing a six game suspension. The Cardinals traded their 1st round pick in the 2022 NFL Draft to the Ravens to acquire Hollywood Brown. Arizona followed up that move, selecting TE Trey McBride from Colorado State in the 2nd round. The Cardinals clearly had a goal to replenish their pass catchers for Kyler Murray. How much of an improvement can Cardinals fans legitimately expect?

If Brown can stay healthy and clean up his drop issues, I see him as a versatile chess piece that can open up the offense. McBride on the other hand is a talented prospect that offers versatility to help in the run and passing game. How much McBride impacts Zach Ertz isn’t clear. Ultimately improving the passing game in Arizona will come down to how head coach Kliff Kingsbury deploys his weapons. If Kingsbury leverages more 12 personnel (two tight ends) and exploits mis-matches consistently, the Cardinals offense will be better equipped to avoid some of their late season swoons as of late.

2022 NFL Draft
Nov 20, 2021; South Bend, Indiana, USA; Notre Dame Fighting Irish running back Kyren Williams (23) stiff arms Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets safey Tariq Carpenter (2) in the second quarter at Notre Dame Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Matt Cashore-USA TODAY Sports

Los Angeles Rams – Does 2022 NFL Draft pick Kyren Williams make an impact in the Rams backfield? 

The Rams have a good problem to solve as they have three talented running backs on their roster with unique skill sets. The defending champs’ passing attack is also stacked with weapons. But Sean McVay’s offense looks a lot better when they can run the ball effectively. The retirement of Andrew Whitworth looms large. Couple that with Cam Akers and Darrell Henderson’s injury history and it makes Kyren Williams an interesting prospect that may be thrust into duty in his rookie season.

Kyren Williams can immediately make an impact in the passing game as he is an Austin Ekeler like dual-threat. Williams is a patient ball-carrier between the tackles. Though not as explosive as Ekeler he runs hard through contact. Rams fans are hoping Williams doesn’t NEED to make an immediate impact this season. But if either of their top two backs is injured, Williams should get an opportunity.

Seattle Seahawks – How will the coaching staff handle the RB splits with Kenneth Walker in the fold? 

Chris Carson has been the Seattle Seahawks starting running back over the last four seasons. However, Carson has battled injuries and is constantly on the mend. Rashad Penny who many thought was the next guy up has dealt with his own injuries throughout the years. However, Penny came alive at the end of last season. So when the Seahawks drafted Kenneth Walker in the 2nd round, it made the RB situation even more of a mystery. Does Pete Carroll decide to go with a veteran as his starter? Or will Kenneth Walker lay claim to the top spot on the depth chart?

In my opinion Kenneth Walker is the most talented ball-carrier in the entire 2022 NFL Draft Class and he’s the best RB on the Seahawks roster. The Seahawks may have an issue at QB, but their running back room is set. I would give Walker 60% of the snaps and divide the remaining 40% between Penny and Carson.

San Francisco 49ers – Who will be the 49ers gem in their 2022 NFL Draft Class? 

Since the 49ers hired GM John Lynch and head coach Kyle Shanahan they’ve drafted a gem in day 2/3 of every draft, out-performing their draft position. In 2017 it was their 5th round pick and perhaps best all-around tight end George Kittle. The following year 3rd round pick Fred Warner was the diamond in the rough. In 2019 5th round pick Dre Greenlaw , 2020 7th round pick Jauan Jennings and in 2021 6th round pick Elijah Mitchell.

Among this 2022 group I believe there are three guys that can be the next “overachiever” in San Francisco. Running back Tyrion Davis-Price fits the Shanahan mold of a big, fast, one cut runner that can do work in their zone scheme. Wide receiver Danny Gray can win at all three levels, especially as a vertical threat stacking defensive backs. And Tariq Castro-Fields, a very intelligent cornerback with mirror and matches capability always competes at the catch point. My money is on Gray but it can be any of the three as they all offer considerable upside compared to their draft position. 

Comments

comments