AFC West Update
No more posturing, haggling, and negotiating the Seattle Seahawks and their ‘star’ quarterback Russell Wilson have reached an accord. The 26-year-old stands to receive $87.6 million over a four year span (extension). The deal includes $60 million guaranteed and a $31 million signing bonus. The contract figures from an annual rate and guaranteed money percentage are staggering. In fact, Wilson will average $21.9 million a year second only to Aaron Rodgers and 68.5% of his contract is guaranteed the highest among all quarterbacks. Despite not being a member of the $100 million club this deal is richer than most year-to-year, inflated contracts. Cork Gaines of businessinsider.com did a great job illustrating that here. All systems go for Seattle as they attempt to get to the Super Bowl for a third straight season.
In other news:
– The chargers against Bills’ offensive line coach Aaron Kromer for battery with intent to cause bodily harm (to a minor) have been dropped;
– New Orleans Saints’ TE Orson Charles has been suspended one game for violating the NFL’s personal conduct policy (arrested for road rage in April);
– OT Will Yeatman has been released by the Houston Texans;
– Cardinals signed CB Shaquille Richardson;
– Washington Redskins have signed recently released OLB Junior Galette to a 1-year $745,000 contract;
– Washington Redskins’ CB Brashaud Breeland has been suspended one game for violating the NFL’s substance abuse policy (marijuana);
– The Cincinnati Bengals have waived WR Cobi Hamilton;
– New York Jets’ DL Sheldon Richardson has been accused of resisting arrest at a traffic stop. Richardson is slated to serve a four-game suspension but reports suggest that Richardson was speeding in his Bentley (143 mph) with an illegal and loaded semi-automatic weapon and 12-year-old child in the vehicle. Apparently the vehicle smelled of marijuana as well. The Jets claim they were unaware of what transpired until recently.
– WR James Jones has signed a 1-year deal with the New York Giants;
– WR Greg Little has signed a 1-year deal with the Cincinnati Bengals